Friday, May 2, 2014

Memories of Meme

If you knew my grandmother well (we called her Meme), then you would know that she loved ice cream.  I remember her homemade peach ice cream.  If I close my eyes and think of it, sweetness starts to tingle my tongue.  If you knew my Meme really well, then you also would know that it wasn’t just a love for ice cream but banana splits!  Those were her expertise!!  I don’t know how she did it, but she had every ingredient - at all times.  Whipped cream, maraschino cherries, hot fudge - they all had prime real-estate in her refrigerator.

My Meme would be proud.  This last tuesday we had banana splits.... IN HAITI.  It wasn’t easy gathering the necessary supplies.  I had to search multiple places and even get a bit creative with substitute toppings but I know she wouldn’t have minded.  



She never got to see my journey from Colorado to Arkansas to a little island in the Caribbean that I now call home but I know she would have loved every minute of it.  I really believe she would have even come to visit me.  She loved to travel!  I miss he deeply.  But with a plastic bowl, chopped bananas, creamy goodness, walnuts, whipped cream and a cherry on top - she was the first one I thought of.  I love you Meme and can’t wait to see you again some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment